Sunday 22 May 2011

Review #98: 'I Drink Your Blood' (1970)

Originally shown as a 2-parter alongside 1964's I Eat Your Skin (you can see what they did there) in the Grindhouse theatres of the 60's and 70's, the film follows a group of Satanic hippies as they arrive in a ghost town, devoid of inhabitants due to a mining project nearby. They make themselves comfortable in one of the many abandoned homes and attack a young girl. Her grandpa goes apeshit and confronts the Manson family-esque group, only to be dosed with LSD and almost killed. The girl's young brother rescues the old man, and exacts revenge by infected a tray of mince pies with rabies (!), only for the remaining occupants of the town to one by one become infected by the disease and begin a rabid, frothy-mouthed killing spree.

I thought I'd seen it all when I struggled through shit-fest Island Of Death (1977), but I Drink Your Blood is another example of how the genius of Grindhouse flashed an exploitative and lie-filled title in my face, only for me to giddily clap my hands in excitement only to be exposed to the cinematic equivalent of an anal raping. At least Island Of Death had a little bit of gore to appease my blood lust, but this just has a bunch of hippies waving their hands around and spitting what looks like soap from their mouths. Even though the film was one of the first movies to receive an X-rating due to violence rather than nudity, it spends most of its time painfully building up to violence that never comes. Utter crud.


Directed by: David E. Durston
Country: USA

Rating: *

Tom Gillespie



I Drink Your Blood (1970) on IMDb



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...