Saturday 18 June 2011

Review #131: 'This Island Earth' (1955)

This 1955 cult sci-fi 'favourite' first came to my attention whilst I was watching Mystery Science Theatre 3000: The Movie (1996) back in my University days. The clips accompanied by the sarcastic comments of the MST robots was hilarious, and I had to see the film. So, five or so years later, I did. And I realised without added hilarity of Mystery Science Theatre, the film isn't so much funny, as jaw-droppingly awful and frustratingly timid. 

Square-jawed, opera-voiced, vanity-ridden cheeseball Dr. Cal Meacham (Rex Reason) is one of the best in his field, and when he starts receiving machine parts that he didn't order, he begins to build the 'interociter' along with the arse-sniffing colleague Joe (Robert Nichols). When it's built, a strange being appears on the monitor and invites Cal to join his academy that boasts a collection of top-rated scientists. Upon arrival, Cal suspects that things aren't as they seem, as the reason they are there is kept top secret. Or perhaps it's because the head the academy, Exeter (Jeff Morrow), has the forehead the size of an airport runway, and the skin tone of a used teabag. 

Apparently the special effects were ground-breaking in their day, and perhaps they were. But I felt it actually lacked bad special effects, which at least would have given the film a bit of charm. Don't get me wrong, I usually love these kind of awful films, but the film was played so straight-faced that I just found it a bore. My lack of interest also led to me getting confused about the plot. But there are funny moments, mainly involving the obnoxious alpha-male Cal and his assistant, who follows him around like a dog, and a scene where an embarrassingly crap alien insect attacks Cal and his love interest Ruth (Faith Domergue). For some quality cheesy sci-fi, I would recommend Robinson Crusoe On Mars (1964) instead, and give this one a miss. 


Directed by: Joseph M. Newman
Country: USA

Rating: **

Tom Gillespie



This Island Earth (1955) on IMDb

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...